Part-time Cert TESOL
Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL (part-time)
The Cert TESOL is an initial qualification in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages. It is accredited at Level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework, and is respected and recognised by language schools around the world.
Many of the current Oxford International English teaching team successfully completed their initial training with us.
The course will help you:
- Become aware of learning needs and learner motivation
- Create and maintain learner interest
- Prepare lessons plans with achievable aims
- Stimulate and maintain active participation a class
- Evaluate and adapt published material, and create useful teaching materials
- Gain a broad understanding of the main advantages and disadvantages of various language teaching approaches
- Evaluate your own effectiveness as a teacher
- Become aware of post-course development and the structure of the profession
- Develop knowledge of phonological, lexical and syntactic features of contemporary English
Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL - Course Structure (part-time)
The part-time CertTESOL course usually takes between 12 and 14 weeks, depending on the number of applicants and the time of year. It requires twice-weekly evening attendance (Tuesday and Thursday, 6pm - 9pm), with some weekend work.
This course is offered at Oxford International English - Brighton only. Specific details of the part-time course structure are available upon email enquiry (see relevant Training Centres page).
The Trinity Cert TESOL consists of several different components:
- Input sessions with course tutors: These take place during the morning and examine theoretical and practical aspects of EFL teaching, introducing techniques that you can apply in lessons. There are also slots dedicated to the study of grammar, pronunciation and other aspects of the English language.
- Teaching Practice: You will complete six hours of supervised classroom teaching. Classes consist of a minimum of six people and are composed of multi-lingual students.
- Observations: You will need to observe several lessons taught at the School in order to further your ability to assess teacher performance.
- Unknown Language Training: You will spend four hours learning an unknown language during the course to help you appreciate the problems faced by learners and encourage you to analyse your own reactions to the experience and the teaching skills on display.
- Learner Profile: You will spend several hours interviewing, teaching and analyzing the language capabilities and study style of a student on a one to one basis.
- Written assignments: You will be asked to complete a series of journals relating to the components above to help you analyse and reflect upon them.
- Test: There is no external exam at the end of the course. However, trainees take an internal Language Awareness test in the final week and speak with a Trinity Moderator about various aspects of the course on the last day.
Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL - Entry requirements
To successfully apply and participate you must be at least 18 years old and have:
- The capability to cope with the academic requirements of the course. This may mean having a university degree, or the academic qualifications that would have enabled to you to get accepted on to a degree course. For applicants without the above, awareness of relevant transferable skills that have been acquired through work experience may instead be considered necessary.
- The skills to fluently and accurately communicate in spoken and written English. Non-native speakers require an IELTS score of 7.0 in each of the four skills, or equivalent. Native speakers must hold a GCSE in English (grade C minimum).
- Interest in learning and teaching.
- Appropriate personal qualities for teaching.
- Adequate health to deal with the demands of an intensive course of training.
It is not essential to be:
- a native English speaker.
- have knowledge of a foreign language.
- have any prior teaching experience.
Please be ready to provide us with a copy of your most significant academic certificate as it is a Trinity College stipulation that proof of qualifications are rigorously checked.
Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL - Course dates (part-time)
10th Jan - 31st Mar 2017
4th Apr - 23rd Jun 2017
26th Sep - 15th Dec 2017 -
*full prices courses are discounted by 10% if full payment is made within 5 days of an official offer for that specific course, providing that offer is made at least three weeks before the advertised course start date. See Terms and Conditions for more details.
Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL - Course Tutors
Brighton - Cert TESOL
I've been in TEFL for 20 years - including time in Russia, Mexico and Colombia. I've had a variety of positions including Principal at a London school. I took a Diploma in 1999 and did a Masters in Applied Linguistics in 2006. Recently I've specialised in teaching English for Specific Purposes.
Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL - Frequently Asked Questions
- What do the acronyms TESOL and TEFL stand for?
Essentially they are acronyms referring to the same area of education: TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
- Will the Trinity Cert TESOL help me get a job?
There is a shortage of qualified EFL teachers abroad, so completion of the course should provide you with excellent employment prospects in the current marketplace.
- Do you help trainees to find their first teaching jobs?
During the course there is input on finding an appropriate first teaching position and subsequent career development. Additionally, tutors offer a free post-course reference service and give general guidance on CV-writing, employment websites and specific jobs.
Oxford International Teacher Training has built up links to schools and education agencies in different countries around the world. We can currently assist with finding work teaching in China, Japan, Russia, Mexico and Spain.
- What other opportunities are available to me after the course?
You can actually host and teach students within your home. Home tuition courses fulfill a niche in the English Language Teaching market. The focus is to fully immerse a student in English language and culture so their confidence improves and they start to feel ‘at home’ in English. Immersive tuition attracts highly motivated students who are eager to improve their English rapidly, which makes them a pleasure to teach. Home teaching also offers flexible, fulfilling employment which represents an opportunity to use your teaching skills and earn supplementary income on a self-employed basis. To find out more click the link above.
- What is the pass rate on the course?
The pass rate is very high for two reasons. We only admit people who we are confident can cope with the course demands. Additionally the low maximum number of trainees (10) per course means that we can promptly attend to specific problems and provide a high level of personal support.
- How should I choose between a full or a part-time course?
If you intend to do any form of paid work while studying on the course, you should not enroll on a full-time course. Full-time daily attendance is required and you will also need to do written work each evening.
- What are all the other initial TEFL training courses that I see advertised?
While courses leading to the award of other qualifications exist these are often very limited in recognition and are not accredited by an independent examinations board. They are thus essentially only a certificate from the school and have limited worth as an aid in acquiring teaching positions globally.
- Are there any entry requirements for the Cert TESOL course?
- What do I do next?
Make sure you have read the information on this website, then complete and send the application form. We will contact you to arrange a time for you to come in to discuss the course and where it may lead you in more detail. You will also be asked to complete a written task at this stage. For candidates who have trouble attending an interview in person, arrangements can be made to go through this process by phone. Following this, we will make a formal offer of a place on the relevant course.
- Can I teach at the Oxford International English schools in Greenwich (London), Brighton or Oxford after completing my CertTESOL?
Early spring and summer are particularly popular seasons of recruitment, but vacancies definitely do arise throughout the year. Oxford International also run a large-scale summer school programme at centres throughout the UK, and we favour recruitment of our own successful trainees for staffing. We now even have schools operating in Toronto, Vancouver and San Diego which may provide another option to consider.
- I'm applying from overseas - do I need to be in Greenwich for my Interview?
In short - no! We can arrange to interview you by Skype, or on a landline. Just make sure that you give us your Skype ID and/or phone number (with international dialling code). Please double check these details before sending to us! You will need to be beside a computer with an internet connection, in order to complete the interview task.
- I don't have an EU passport - will I need to get a visa to study with you? Can you offer any advice/assistance?
You may need a visa in order to study with us. We are not a professional visa advice agency, but we do offer some assistance - this is outlined on our visa advice page (click here).
- Why was I redirected from ISIS Tefl (www.isistefl.com)?
The ISIS Education brand was built up over many years by the founders, and earned a respected reputation for quality and value. World events have meant a need to change identity and so Oxford International Education Group was born. Our brand name has therefore changed to Oxford International Teacher Training.
- Weren't you also called UIC Teacher Training?
Yes, we were - but this was only a temporary name change! The important point to make is that we're still the same team, providing the same high-standard Trinity accredited courses as we always have done!